Friday, November 16, 2012

The November I’m-not-really-avoiding-NaNo blog post


Grrr. Yes, I’m doing NaNo, and yes, I’m kind of failing so far. 10666 words. But I’m hoping to catch up soon. Maybe this weekend. I may have to turn of the internets to achieve that of course; I’m just too easy to distract.
But the bright side of November is that I’m giving away a signed copy of the lovely Tara Fuller’s INBETWEEN, which will be a fabulous Christmas gift for the teen in your life.

I went to Tara’s first ever signing in Asheboro, NC—a mere hop, skip and a jump from where I live. Or so I thought. My GPS, however, had other ideas. It confidently took me to a totally different library in a totally different town where I interrupted a delightful group of wood carvers.
After admiring their wonderful whittling skills, they kindly drew me a map to the library where Tara was. I needed to take US42 to get there from where I had mistakenly ended up. Imagine my delight when one of these wood carvers looked at me with a distinct twinkle in his eye and said, “of course, forty-two is the answer to everything.” SCORE! Who would have imagined that I’d meet a Douglas Adams fan in a very rural area of North Carolina. If I’d never made it to Tara’s book signing, that would easily have been the highlight of my month!

Anyway, I arrived in time to buy the last three books, and eat an awesome cup cake made by her sister-in-law…so there was much rejoicing.
 

And it is one of these books, that Tara kindly signed, and is holding in this photo, that is up for grabs.

Inbetween:  Since the car crash that took her father’s life three years ago, Emma’s life has been a freaky — and unending — lesson in caution. Surviving “accidents” has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option.

It’s not easy being dead, especially for a reaper in love with a girl fate has put on his list not once, but twice. Finn’s fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn’t let her die before, and he’s not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil he accidentally unleashed, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left…his soul.

To enter, just follow @scwine and @tara25fuller on Twitter, and leave me some NaNo tips (or encouragement!) in the comments below. If you are participating NaNo, feel free to add your user ID so we can buddy up! I will announce the winner (chosen by random.org) on December 7th.

9 comments:

Xandra James said...

Ooh the book sounds great! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets lost going to easy places ;)

Tips for nano... hmmm. Definitely turn off the internet! Twitter is the devil and I can barely form a sentence when I allow myself to get distracted by it's shininess.

Thankfully I'm very near to my 50k target but am still spending WAY too much time checking email. One day I WILL learn.

Good luck with Nano and i hope you catch up :D

Nano user name - xandrajames

Ophelia London said...

I'm not really entering to win, since I'm buying my own copy....I just want to yell at you about falling behind in NaNo. :)
Hugs, dah-ling!

Megan said...

I've wanted to read this book forever!

I'm doing NaNo this year, and the only way I get anything written is by disabling the Interwebs. I've got a mini laptop, and I let my sercurity expire so that I can't go online. It works wonders!

My ID over on the Nano site is WriterGirl1981 if you want to be buddies. :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm...tips for NaNo. Not to sound cheesy but I'm going to quote a song. A song by JOURNEY!

Don't stop belieeevin'.

Okay, a real tip. Goals, goals, goals! Set them and be sure to hit them. No excuses. :-)

Thanks for the giveaway!

NaNo user name: Lena Beana or search my email-

addicted2novels(at)gmail(dot)com

Unknown said...

I'm not a big writer so I don't know how much help I can be, but I know that right now I should be writing a history paper but instead I'm here browsing your blog... so avoiding the internet is definitely a good idea! blogs, Twitter, email, all of it! Only writing research allowed! :) Find your best time, too. I know I do my best school work when I'm in the right frame of mind, so whatever it takes to get you there, do it! :) Good luck!
And just so you know I did follow on Twitter, I'm @MsJessR. BUT DON'T CHECK TWITTER WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO WRITE! ;)

Breana M. said...

I’m not participating in NaNoWriMo, but good luck. As for encouragement, well, believe you can do it and you can! Also, follow through with your idea and don’t let any doubts stop you. :) Thanks for the giveaway.

Alyssa said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! I know the month of November is almost over, which is why I'm poping in now to tell you that you're on the home stretch!!!! Pull out some fabulous (or not so fabulous) words, and go for the gold!!! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. 50,000 is yours!!!! I thought 10,666 was pretty darn good, considering you have the rest of your life, right? I wanted to do NaNo this year, but I'm a senior in high school, and things are crazy, with college apps and scholarships adn EIGHT AP CLASSES. Blergh. But hey, I'm here to be your cheerleader, so cheerlead I shall! GIMME AN "S"! GIMME A "U"! GIMME "Z"! GIMME AN "E"! GO SUZE!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Tips - try and stay off the internet and/or phone. I know I'm not doing NaNo, but in general, the internetis wayyyy too distracting. As are phones. As are people. LOL.

So, for thye contest - I follow you and Tara on Twitter - @Alyssa_Susanna

And I follow you by GFC (Alyssa Susanna). Not sure if that counts for anything. I do it for the love :)

GOOD LUCK GIRLLL!!! FINISH STRONG!!!! :D :D :D

Lynsey Newton said...

Oh, I would LOVE a signed copy of Inbetween!!! As for nano, just keep going and don't ever let your word count slip - write EVERY DAY!

Thank you for the opportunity to win and GOOD LUCK!

Echo F. M. said...

It's a little late for NaNo encouragement since it's December 2nd, but I hope you made your goal! I didn't make it (35k), but I still got a lot out of doing NaNo. So my bit of advice is that even if you didn't finish, don't forget that every little bit you did means there's more to your story than there used to be.